Sunday, June 20, 2021

Hidden Beauty

Recently, while walking under trees in our neighborhood, I heard a crunch-crunch sound.  Looking around, I didn't see anything.  The crunching continued.  Looking up, I saw a number of green parrots that were eating away at the seed pods in the tree... eyeing me with caution.  Without the sound, I might have missed the beauty of these beautiful tropical birds with the red-ringed eyes.

Over the years we have become accustomed to these wild parrots that migrated to and made San Diego home.  It's always amazing to hear their squawks as they fly over and to see them up close in our neighborhood trees.

Their beauty is often hidden as they are camouflaged by our greenery.

When do you stop and see what is hidden?
(San Diego, CA)

This brief encounter brought wonder and awe:  something out-of-the-ordinary just happened; something unexpected.  And, as my friends know, I began musing about dialogue!

For example, like the parrots:

  • Am I cautious when others approach?
  • Are my words and intentions camouflaged?
  • Do I focus only on what feeds my interests and worldview?

Is growth possible in unexpected places?
(Tintagell, Cornwall, England)


Our world is filled with opportunities to learn, to migrate our ways of seeing, and to seek the Beauty Hidden in others... and ourselves!  If we choose, humans can adapt and grow in almost every circumstance.  I wonder what has been happening in our time where our camouflage hides more, fear and caution is growing, and we are focused more on our own needs.

What do you think is happening?

Can you see people and their beauty reflected?
(Salisbury Cathedral, Salisbury, England)
  

Traveling in Britain a few years back, I was taken by the baptismal font in Salisbury Cathedral.  The clarity of the water, the gentle sound of water overflowing, and the stillness that reflected the beauty... building and people.  I gazed into the reflection and wondered about the images and impressions touching the water:
  • What impressions do we leave on others?
  • How have we touched gently our family and friends?
  • Can the Hidden Beauty be drawn forth as we learn to look up... and notice?

This week, may we look up and notice.  May we seek the hidden beauty that surrounds us.  May we be filled with wonder and awe.


Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment