Sunday, October 23, 2016

Passwords, Security, Uncertainty, and Change

Don't you just love Monday mornings?!  A new week is dawning!  A week of possibilities!  You get to your work space or begin your tasks and errands, possibly with a degree of hope and positive energy for the week ahead... and then something unexpected happens!  There goes the hope and energy as you pick up the pieces and settle into another day.

That's how my workweek began last week... and how it ended on Friday!  A bookend of frustrating situations and, perceived, wasted timeDifferent computer applications needed attention as I searched for possible issues and solutions, entered new strong passwords, and restarted the various devices.

How do I protect myself from
being misunderstood by others?
 (Image from PCWorld)
When I considered the reliance on passwords to keep our systems secure... or my expectation that life would be smooth... or the uncertainty and frustration that occurs when I face immediate change, I wondered if this might be another opportunity to practice dialogue skills! 

For instance, when I slow down and notice my reactions to an unanticipated moment of change, do I rely on past words, meanings and attitudes for the solution?  Or, I wondered, am I open to the possibility that another outcome might present itself if I listen and respond differently?

It is as if the practice of Noticing and Mindfulness presents new key words and actions to break through barriers... within Self, and between Self and Other.  And, it is in the wonder of anticipation and practicing new responses where fun, exciting, and stronger Pass-Words (maybe, perceptions?) might emerge!
 
How might I see and respond differently
to barriers in my relationships?
 (Image from VetBiz Network)
Many I.T. professionals and online applications now recommend strong passwordsusing a memorable key phrase; replacing some letters with numbers; mingling in symbols and Capital letters.  Dialogue helps us to realize that D1sc0v3ry c@n b3 fUn!   New key words that suggest new perceptions and actions.

It is as if our approach to the issue or barrier begins to change when we seek out new words and phrases.  We want to pass through past misunderstandings and to seek an ability to unlock opportunities.

Are we aware of signs that prepare us for the change ahead?
(Image from LifeHack)
I guess if I entered each week, day, and encounter expecting that change might occur, maybe I could look ahead to creative moments where I discover who I am, who you are, and who we might become together!

Questions to consider this week:
  • What are some of my Pass-Words and Actions that protect me?
  • What do I expect:  Of myself?  Of others?
  • Do these words, actions, or expectations create barriers between myself and others?

May the Blessed Uncertainty of this week present us with life-giving moments!

Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment