Sunday, November 25, 2018

Thankfully Thankful!

I know that when I am tired and life has delivered a few curves, I am not always aware of the wonders around me.  It seems as if the smallest slight is exaggerated; the simplest remark is misconstrued.

In those moments, am I thankful for the Life Unfolding and the Lessons Revealed?



Are there times when I forget to be thankful?
(Photo Credit:  Family Circus, November 24, 2016, Bill Keane)

In an old church in Amsterdam, I came across a wooden spiral staircase that had no visible support but the walls it was braced against.  There was only one way up and one way down.  The graceful curves and the simplicity of its construction drew me back to it several times.

Sometimes life can be very simple as well: how we view those curves -- or changes -- in our path; whether we feel an upward or downward trend in the challenges we encounter; or where we experience our support.


Where do I find my support?
(Oude Kerk - wooden spiral staircase, Amsterdam)

Maybe, when we feel less thankful for what life offers, we might want to get back to the basics.  That is:
  • Life is a gift. 
  • Support is where we see it. 
  • We have a choice on how we respond.

How do I respond when I feel adrift?

When we find that we are adrift in an ocean of possibilities, the invitation is to breathe in, enjoy the view, and return to a heart thankful for the Freedom to Respond.  Rather than going up or down in our mood-filled reactions, we are called to see wider vistas  which encourage us to go in many different directions.

As we continue this season of thanksgiving, let us remember the support and possibilities that are ever present:  we can change our outlook; we can never be done being thankful!



Larry Gardepie


(click on link for website)



No comments:

Post a Comment