Sunday, October 11, 2020

The Science of Ripples

I have always been curious... the why's of childhood continue to this day:

  • I wonder how that works?
  • I wonder what that person is experiencing?
  • I wonder why people can't get along?
That's why when I saw a drop of water send ripples outward, I wondered what actually happened when that drop disturbed the calm surface.

How does your life effect others?
(Photo credit:  What Ripple Photos, Pexels)


I was pleasantly surprised when I read "Curious Kids: how do ripples form and why do they spread out across the water?" (found at The Conversation).  As we would expect, the ripple moves away from the point where an object disturbs the surface.
 
But what I didn't realize, is that "the water molecules don't move away from the rock as you might expect.  They actually move up and down.  When they move up, they drag the other molecules next to them up - then they move down, dragging the molecules next to them down."
 
At a visual level we see the ripples moving outward, but at a much more basic level the molecules are moving up or down.  Both are happening!
 

Are you aware of your impact,
large or small?
(Photo credit:  Pixabay)


I wonder if our words and actions do the same?  At the surface, we see ideas rippling outward as we express our thoughts and feelings.  But, maybe at a more basic level, the disturbance of status quo is causing relationships and emotions to move upward or downward... to improve or deteriorate.
 
I wonder what would happen if we reflected more on our words and actions... and their effect on ourselves, others, and our relationships:
  • Am I aware of the impact I have on others?
  • What is my intention when I disturb the surface of relationships?
  • Do I want to build up or tear down?
 

How do you want to be remembered?
(Photo credit:  AZ Quotes)


Maybe the far reaching effects of our words and actions are both in the ripple outward and the movement upward or downward -- to improve or disengage ourselves from others.

Questions to consider as we move through these final weeks before Election Day:

  • How will my decisions impact others?
  • Can I see and accept the responsibility of my actions? 
  • Am I willing to work together to improve another person's condition?

May we thoughtfully consider the ripples that course outward through our society.  May we seek to disturb the surface of the status quo in order to heal.  May the molecules of our words and actions choose to drag people upward!

 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)


 



No comments:

Post a Comment