Sunday, February 14, 2021

The Wonder of Knowing

Listening to this week's Impeachment Trial I am struck by how little of the story I know fully, am willing to hear, and want to believe.  Watching the replays of the January 6th U.S. Capitol riot were painful, reliving those moments of reality and shock:  This is America today?  This is US?

In a way it was a relief to have the wound open, to actually see how deep our divisions are.  But what next?

I wonder:

  • Is there a desire to heal?
  • Are we willing to talk through what happened?
  • Can we sit and notice the pain and unbelief, directions that are not yet clear?

Are there times when your thoughts are cloudy?

 

Like many of the Senators, though, our minds seem made up.  We leave the room.  We doodle.  We check our texts.  We see through our individual or group-identified filters, assumptions, and conclusions about The Other, not willing to consider another story.
 
I wonder:
  • Am I willing to sit in my discomfort and listen?
  • Are the transgressions so vast that I cannot take one step closer to you?
  • Can I choose to look through other windows when mine become dirty or cloudy?

What filters keep you from seeing clearly?

It is true:  each of us must rely on the moral compass or value system that guides us.  But the challenge, I believe, is whether that compass or system excludes other meanings and conclusions.  There may be boundaries we deice not to cross... but does that mean we cannot try to understand what happened?
 
I wonder: 
  • Has there been a time in my life when I was ALWAYS right?
  • When have I ALWAYS known what to do?
  • Do I ALWAYS see clearly the decisions I make... and their impact on you? 
 

When can you be your Authentic Self?
(Photo credit:  Twins are Becoming Less Common
in U.S., for Good Reasons, MedicineNet
)
 
As we sit and notice the discomfort or shock in various parts of our lives, maybe the invitation is to WONDER:  to ask questions of ourselves and others; to listen and apply what we understand to the moral compass and value system; and to consider whether ALWAYS is the best way of knowing the truth.
 
Maybe the Wonder of Knowing is in the discovery of who we really are:
  • People who want the best for self and others.
  • People who cause pain to self and others.
  • People who need forgiveness and healing.
 
May we seek to know and be known as we truly are!  May we wonder!
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita! Am I still your "resident poet"? Hope you are able to attend Friday's meeting... you have wonderful insights!

      Delete