Saturday, January 8, 2022

Our Choice to See Beauty

Over the past several months I have had the opportunity to slow down:  retirement does that, I guess!  This new pace has allowed me time to review and reflect on what I may have missed while working:

  • What I did not see as I hurried past someone
  • Ideas I might not have heard or understood
  • Solutions in a situation not considered

This period of reflection has given me time to re-notice the beauty around me:  the sunrises and sunsets; the changes in weather and the seasons; and the diversity of possibilities before us.

One realization:  each day begins with a Choice -- the choice to slow down and pay attention.

What do you see at the beginning of each day?
(Photo: sunrise over San Diego harbor, Larry Gardepie)


 
Even in the darkest of moments we have a choice:
  • Do we react instinctively to what we see, hear, or experience?
  • Are we willing to slow down, search for options, and respond out of the depth of who we are, what we value, and what is the best for everyone?

The darkest moments become brighter when I look with intention:  the ability to see the beauty and worth of each person encountered and inviting them into the solution-finding.

Do you see possibilities in the darkest moments?
(Photo: luminous clouds before a storm, Larry Gardepie)


Intention -- purpose or attitude -- opens our minds and hearts in how we see others: through
the lenses of history and routine, skepticism and fear, doubt, and uncertainty... or... can we intentionally set aside these distractions and anticipate a new encounter, invite a new dialogue, and expect to be awed by the richness and beauty of another person?

Can you recount the beauty of this day?
(Photo: sunset at sea, Larry Gardepie)


Whether a daily or weekly review, during major changes in our lives, or throughout the seasons of our life, reflection invites us to be honest with ourselves.  What is equally important is the opportunity to share these thoughts with others: w
here I think I have changed; the changes I have noticed in you; and the choices we make to remain in relationship.

May you choose to see beauty this week!
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

4 comments:

  1. Larry, this is beautiful and inspiring.
    I also want to check and see what e-mail address you are using. My address has changed from rtresp@mercysc.org to rtresp@sistersofmercy.org.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose Marie! I checked and believe I am using the “sistersofmercy” email address. I sent an email to check that you are receiving the weekly alerts.

      Delete
  2. Larry, Very well said. When we moved to Idaho I was relieved to find a slower pace of life as well as the opportunity to explore a different type of landscape and beauty.
    We also have been able to enjoy the youth of our granddaughters and see the life of kids through different eyes.
    Everyone needs the chance to slow down, open their eyes and minds and see what they might be missing that’s right in front of them.
    Hope your new year is off to a great start. Enjoy your retirement, you have earned this time to do whatever you choose to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for sharing your experience of slowing down. I am amazed when I see or hear something that has been in front of me all along... Why didn't I see it before? What else have I not seen?!

      Delete