Saturday, January 29, 2022

Wisps of Ideas

Have you ever wondered where your thoughts come from?  Are there times when you are surprised by what bubbles up in your mind about someone else ("Now where did that come from?!")?

There are times when I cannot turn off my brain:  working through a project; worried about an upcoming deadline or decision; trying to solve a mystery ("Where did I put my phone?").

Sometimes, it seems as if my thoughts are clear, are connected, and have a purpose.  Other times they have a life of their own and wander, like wisps of smoke or clouds taking shape and then drifting around with the wayward winds.

What are you thinking right now?
(Photo: Wisps of Smoke at Night, Larry Gardepie)


In fact, did you know that rubber bands and thoughts/thinking have a lot in common?  Both can be stretched, and both contract!  Just think about the flexibility you might have on any given subject:

  • Am I open to new ways of thinking about that subject?
  • Am I closed off and convinced I have the answer and see it clearly?

As I am thinking about my own flexibility -- or lack of! -- I notice another thought emerging:  thoughts might be like wisps of smoke or clouds -- AND -- at the same time, they might be like the ocean depths:  there is so much more to consider!

Is it possible to hold both certainty and uncertainty
about a given subject... at the same time?
(Photo: Cloud Trails, Larry Gardepie)


I wonder about the structures and rules (SCRs: socially constructed realities) that I have accepted or established in my life.  Do they allow me to expand (or contract) in my way of thinking?  Do they provide the ability to follow the wayward winds and explore the depths of who I am -- or who you are?
 
I believe the beauty of thinking is sharing your thoughts with others.  Not to determine who is right or wrong, has the right answer or is still exploring.  Rather, by sharing our thoughts and listening to what another person thinks or feels, we expand our horizons.  We venture beyond the safe shores that protect one way of being (or thinking) and reach new areas of discovery.

Do the beauty of wisps and depths enlighten your day?
(Photo: Sea of Cortez sunset, Larry Gardepie)


Maybe in this divided world we are encouraged to set aside Thoughts Divisive that chain or lock us into violent struggles.  Maybe we are invited to Flexible Thinking that attracts sharing and nonviolent exchanges.  Maybe wayward wisps will allow to us See Anew the depth of discovery and the exploration of possibility.  Chains or Rubber Bands?
 
What do you think?
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment