Sunday, January 31, 2021

Crinkle Crankle Dialogue

My older brother and I would challenge one another to climb onto the flat portion of the fence surrounding our backyard.  The top ledge allowed us to "tightrope walk" around the property, racing to see who could go the furthest without falling.  Distractions from barking dogs, neighbors watching, and cautiously walking past the untamed gully and thorny cactii helped us focus our attention on the goal.

These memories surfaced recently when Carole, a high school friend, sent me a picture of a British "crinkle crankle" wall.  How interesting to have a wall that zig-zags through the countryside!  Wouldn't it be fun to walk atop this wall -- being able to see views in various directions rather than straight ahead?

What expectations do you have
of your relationships?
(Photo credit: 
15 Photos of British "Crinkle Crankle Walls, deMilked)


Reading what Carole sent me and other sources, I discovered that wavy walls actually use less bricks than straight walls.  The English "crinkle crankle" wall is one brick thick and is supported by the curving design.  Straight walls would topple over if they were built one brick thick!

Straight walls need strong foundations (multiple bricks thick) and vertical posts or buttresses every few yards to reinforce the wall.  Thus, more bricks or other materials are needed.

How do you encounter the daily ups
and downs of life?
(Photo credit:  Right on the Head, Gary Mahler)


Once introduced to this zig-zag design, I reflected on the rhythm of life... and how Choices Made alter the direction we take:

  • Ocean waves that rise and fall with the tides.
  • Relationships that ebb and flow between intimacy and distance.
  • Conversations that are misunderstood and clarified.

Choices that allow us to move forward... straight and direct... or roaming and indirect.  Choices of discovery.

Do you test Truths and Lies?  How?
(Quote credit:  Unknown)


I am amazed at how my life has unfolded: though I had interests that caught my attention and a career path that changed over time, I oftentimes took branches in the road that I wasn't expecting.  Maneuvering the zig-zag discovery of life's treasures meant that I needed to share my thoughts and feelings with others... or they might get lost with my meandering way!
 
This Dialogue of Sharing opens doors to common beliefs, discussions of differences, and decisions on whether to maintain friendships.  What I discovered is that the foundations of both the Straight and Narrow and the Crickle-Crankle must be strong:
  • Putting extra work into the discussion of Truths and Lies Encountered;
  • Allowing a quality of exploration and learning;
  • Accepting views and distractions along the way.

I wonder what it would have been like for my brother and me if our family's backyard was surrounded by a wavy wall?  Would we have seen a different view of our neighbors, heard new sounds, or been as cautious moving past dangerous points along the way?  I wonder.

May we be challenged to explore the straight and crickle-crankle paths ahead.  May we learn to separate the Truths and Lies encountered along the way.  May we be willing to share what we have learned.
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment