Sunday, April 11, 2021

Seeing Clearly

Fourth grade... that was the year my teacher noticed I was talking too much to the classmate sitting in the neighboring desk.  Rather than reprimanding me for talking rather than working on our assignment, she asked me why I was talking.  I explained that I couldn't see what she had written on the blackboard.  Asking a question opened the door to seeing clearly:

  • I was sent to the principal's office. (Am I in trouble?)
  • I was given an eye exam. (Why are they checking my eyes?)
  • I began a lifelong journey of optometrist check-ups. (I am nearsighted.)

Why reflect on this fourth grade epiphany and insights?  My glasses were fogging up during last week's Easter service, and I wondered:

When do I not see clearly the mysteries unfolding around me?

When is your vision or understanding clouded?

(Photo credit:  Mask Still Fogging Up Your Glasses?
Try These Tricks, Wexner Medical center, The Ohio State University
)


The memory of when I put on my first pair of glasses is vivid.  The optometrist was a family friend.  He brought the Army-issued, black-rimmed glasses to my parents' house after work on a Friday evening.  With my parents, brothers, and sisters surrounding me, I tried them on... I looked around the living room... and I was shocked!  THIS is what everyone else is seeing?!
 
Everything was so clear and in focus!  As a child, I had no reference point to understand that my vision was poor.  I just knew I couldn't see the writing on the blackboard.  It took a teacher who noticed... and who asked a question.


Can multiple views be true?

Wearing my glasses to school on Monday, I looked at the schoolyard and classroom in a new way:  I was caught up by how amazing everything was... and how changed I felt.  By the first recess, though, the teasing and bullying began:  "Four Eyes" became a nickname; friends-turned-bullies tried to knock off the glasses; I felt ashamed at being an outcast.

What became clear:  don't stand out... don't be different.

 
As I gazed through mask-fogged glasses at the Easter service, I wondered about these childhood lessons.  Warm breath creates unclear images.  Halos appear around people's heads.  What else comes from my mouth that clouds how I see others?  What is true?  What is the mystery to be explored?

What happens when we seek clarity?

Moving outward from these memories, what are the lessons we want to -- or choose to -- learn from this COVID-fogged year:
  • What questions can be asked when we don't see or understand clearly?
  • Have we attached names to people who stand out or respond differently?
  • Do we seek a reference point that brings clarity and appreciation?
 
Similar to the 9-year old who discovered he wasn't seeing clearly, maybe -- as we discover that multiple views may be true -- we can become excited at the beauty we are now experiencing!

May this week bring focus to what is important to you.  May you try on new perspectives that bring clarity to your life.
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment