Sunday, April 25, 2021

Spock, Help Us!

I had tears in my eyes when I listened to the guilty verdicts in Derek Chauvin's trial this past week.  On the television screen were scenes of celebration and sadness, jubilation and tears.  People described being able to breathe again and a hope for healing.  But reality was present as well: wondering about the future, if anything had changed, and questions about systemic racism and injustice.

I wondered what would unlock the centuries of prejudice, biases, and judgements that have locked us in this ongoing struggle.  I wondered, as a white man, how I have added to or benefited from the current systems.

What keys do you need to unlock adversity?


I thought back on my childhood and adulthood.  Life hasn't always been easy.  I have struggled financially and fought to survive... but my skin color or gender has opened doors that others may only dream of.  Where am I blind?  How have my education and experience been one-sided?  Much of what I see is alien to my way of being.

When are you deliberate in creating justice?


Strangely, my mind also turned to Star Trek and Spock, an alien member of a predominantly human crew --  exploring strange new worlds; seeking out new life and new civilizations; boldly going where no one has gone before.  Through ongoing adventures we learn of Spock's credo: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few," with Captain Kirk adding, "or the one."

In this moment in our human story:

  • Are we willing to explore the pain and suffering of the many?
  • Can we seek out a new life where all are advantaged?
  • Will we go where no one has gone before: justice and equity for all?

Where do you see connections?

The hope for my life is that I will:

  • Listen... and accept the truth in another person's experience;
  • Ask... when I do not understand; and
  • Connect... becoming one-with-the-many as we journey together.

We are interconnected on this planet and with this planet whether we want to believe it or not.  It is the vessel that carries us among the stars, exploring new life and civilizations among us.  Let us listen, ask, and connect!

May we seek justice and peace this week.
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment